We are currently accepting volunteer applications for the 2022 season!
If you’d like to volunteer with us in 2022, please fill out the application below and return it to email@example.com.
Volunteering at the Bird Center
The Bird Center of Michigan is one of the only songbird rehabilitation facilities that serves the southeastern area of Michigan. Each year, hundreds of both baby birds and injured adults come through the doors of the clinic requiring assistance. Did you know that most baby birds need to be fed every 30 minutes from dawn to dusk? Between feeding, cleaning, and monitoring every bird’s condition, there’s always something that needs to be done! Not only do volunteers get the opportunity to make a real difference in the lives of our feathered patients, but they get to learn and work alongside skilled staff and interns.
Volunteer shifts are typically 3 hours long, 1-2 times per week. How much time you are willing to spend volunteering with the Bird Center is up to you! Let our Volunteer Coordinator know your availability, and we will swiftly set up a training shift with an experienced mentor to get you started.
In this video, Bird Center of Michigan volunteers discuss why volunteering with us is so important to them:
There are many jobs that go into wildlife rehabilitation – and it’s not just feeding birds! Here are some of the many important duties volunteers perform at the Bird Center:
- Ensuring clean and safe enclosures for the birds.
- Preparing species-specific diets and creating enrichment.
- Helping staff and volunteers monitor critical patients and babies.
- Helping with special Bird Center projects.
- Helping staff with laundry.
- Running errands, such as transferring birds to other rehab facilities, or picking up fruit or insects at the store.
- General gardening and other outdoor maintenance at the clinic.
- Experienced volunteers can be trained to answer calls and enter data into our system.
BCM is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our volunteer opportunities are open to all. We value diversity and do not permit any discrimination against applicants, employees, or volunteers on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, age, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, or disability, or any other status protected by applicable law or statute in any of our policies or program.